Welta’q – “It Sounds Good”: Historic Recordings of the Mi’kmaq(2009) features:
DOWNLOADS ONLY. NO HARD COPIES AVAILABLE!
• 24 tracks showcasing the vibrant musical life of the Mi’kmaw people in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, and Québec
• traditional Mi’kmaw songs; songs by the first Mi’kmaw powwow drum group; fiddle tunes and folksongs; hymns and anthems; a lullaby; and the story of Mi’kmwesu, the flute-playing trickster
• important archival recordings from institutions across Canada and field recordings from private research collections
• artwork by Mi’kmaw artist Jerry Evans
• 60-page accompanying booklet with textual and musical transcriptions of the songs; translations of Mi’kmaw texts; extensive notes contextualizing each selection; and discussion of Mi’kmaw musical instruments and dance styles
Read more: Welta'q-It Sounds Good: Historic Recordings of the Mi'kmaq